Saturday, July 5, 2008

Crawling back into cyberspace

Oh wow. It's been awhile.

Since September of last year, I worked my ass off at work, spent awhile in Guatemala and Chile, worked some more, met someone, met someone else, dragged my feet, started dancing Tango, started school again....

So far, my summer has been great. I'm taking one seven credit Humanities class over the summer, and, in the words of my instructor, "It's like the U.N. in here!" Indeed. We have thirty people in our class. About ten of them are from different parts of Japan, three are from Hong Kong, one from Shanghai, one from Taiwan, one from Italy, one Portuguese, one Russian, one Ukrainian, one Filipina, a woman from Indiana, a recently converted divorcee from the South, Shelby, Chris, a couple of nondescript Caucasians and myself. Ben Kohn, the professor, is German, and slightly crazy in a slightly different way than the rest of us. The class is great. Three and a half hours every Monday and Wednesday, but we keep it interesting.

I spent my Independence Day at my dance teacher Ruby's house. Robert Blake, Jordan from Yogoman Burning Band and Yanne played some great folk music and Chuck Barry covers. Tofu dogs and Bratwurst were in abundance, as were neighbors, musicians, wine and beer. It was a nice, relaxing way to spend the evening, and listening to American folk music made me feel rebelliously patriotic.

No comments: