Sunday, October 19, 2008

Mushrooms!

On a whim, I went to the Wild Mushrooms festival at Bloedel Donovan today, put on by the Northwest Mushroom Association (I know, right?) Anyway, it was amazing! And I'm now a proud member of the association and owner of my very own Shiitake log! whoo! There was a ton of information on wild mushrooms of the PNW, and the displays were fantastic. They also had cookbooks, mushroom-hunting guides and a mushroom identification table. The best part, though, was the food. First I had roasted chanterelles on buttered French bread, and then this amazing creamy herb soup with some kind of delicious mushroom that I can't remember the name of. On my way home I found five different kinds of lawn mushrooms that I'm going to identify and (hopefully) eat.

So, I dedicate this to the morel, my favorite fungus:

Oh Grim Reaper of flora,
Queen of decay,
fragile and beautiful you wait in the cool, damp earth
to collect the souls of the forest;
until someone collects you.
hehe

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I just love how you get into these awesome things to do.