Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Le sigh.

Every time I tell myself I'm going to keep some free time in my schedule, I end up loading myself down with commitments and such.

I started drinking coffee again...

Ben's Honors Seminar on the Epic in Text and Performance is great. Basically, we read Beowulf, The Battle of Kosovo, various other epics and interesting articles and talk about them for two hours a week. Narrowing my focus like this has really let me explore one of the oldest classic forms of literature. I'm having an awesome time : )
Ben is bringing Benjamin Bagby to WCC at the end of this month, and it should be pretty amazing. He'll be performing, from memory, the first third of Beowulf in the original (albeit reconstructed) Anglo-Saxon (with supertitles) in the style of a bard. Our class is teaming up with the art department at Whatcom to make Grendel's bloody, sinewy arm, which we'll hang above Benjamin's head. We're making it out of tree branches, sticks and papier maché. Tickets are almost sold out, but you can get them at WCC and (I think) Village Books.

1 comment:

Chuck said...

Village Books has quite a few tickets available for Beowulf: The Epic Performance.