Sunday, November 9, 2008

"Where do you find these mushroom people?"---"In the faery ring, Jordan."

Earlier today I went on my first mushroom foray with the Northwest Mushroom Association at Bowman Bay State Park. Needless to say, it was tons of fun. What a curious gathering, too, where most of the time everyone is looking at the ground and not at each other, yet we feel such a kinship in our love of the fungi. Vince Biciunias, NMA president, and I went out mushrooming with a couple of reporters from WWU. In about two hours I had collected around twenty different types of mushrooms, and later at the identification table I found out that about five different kinds of those were edible (parasols, chanterelles, honey, boletus, etc.) The whole day was very enlightening, and I was very happy with my harvest. At the end of the day we had a full-course meal and cooked up some of the mushrooms we had found. I am so saturated in fungi I just don't know what to do with myself!!

(I made soup)

No comments: