Tuesday, September 23, 2008

It's been awhile

Yes, indeed it has. I haven't really had much internet access nor time to blog lately, but school's back in session so I should be updating my blog.

I tried out the vanilla black pepper truffle, and it turned out pretty well, though I'd like to change a few things. We added medium ground pepper to the vanilla ganache, and I think I'd like more peppery crunch next time. I felt like the flavour was lost with such a fine grind. I sprinkled medium-ground pepper on top of the truffles, which added a nice little kick, but Kevin kept choking on the pepper...he liked it though. Overall, the truffle was pretty sweet since we used a white chocolate base. I liked the sweetness, though, and I think it will work in the future with a few minor tweaks. The pepper flavour was almost an after-taste, which is nice but not what I want. Next time I think we'll steep the pepper into the cream like a spicy chai. I feel like that will create a more balanced profile. Check out the truffles at either Chocolate Necessities location www.chocolatenecessities.com
My next project, time permitting, will be a curry truffle in a nutty milk base. Curry can be pretty overwhelming, and using a complex Spice Hut blend could be difficult to maneuver since some flavours are stronger than others, but we'll try it out.
My life has been fairly consumed by chocolate lately. The other day I was kind of on a manic adrenaline kick and I ended up working two days straight--twenty-five hours through the night...I got a lot done for sure, and I ended up cleaning up the store pretty well. Coincidentally, we had a health inspector show up the next day. Ah, life treats me well.

No comments: